Saturday, May 23, 2015

Dublin day 2!


Today was a good day.

Well first want to say a big congratulations to Ireland for having passed the referendum for equality. That is a big deal and is certainly a big piece of history that we get to experience while we are here.  



We started the day off at Trinity college where I got to see the famous Book of Kells! It was just as amazing as everyone had told me. However what people did not tell me about would be the long room following the actual Book of Kells. First let me just say though the Book of Kells was super interesting. I think it was really cool how all of the symbols lined up and how the scriptures were portrayed. The long room though like I said was my favorite part. Seeing one of the first copies of “Harry Potter”, “The Hobbit”, and “The Hunger Games”, plus many more was just super interesting. The research they had to do to correlate all of those titles into specific categories was just really interesting. Plus one of the only remaining harps left in Ireland was also really fascinating and beautiful. My appreciation for it was of course very high.

Following this we took a bus tour of Dublin. I enjoyed being able to see the outer parts of the city. Walking around does not give us the whole view of the beautiful city that is Dublin. However we did stop at one point to look at the Famine memorial. It can be said that we feel the sorrow that the Irish have felt and while standing there I was wondering what it would have been like to live through this and I can feel some of the sorrow that the Irish must feel. But I would never be able to feel the true sadness they did while dealing with this Great Hunger, as they refer to it.  I thought that all of the tributes in the architecture that they had were really cool. The fact that they each have a specific purpose or even that all of the old buildings are being turned into new ones is just very cool and something we don’t see very often in the states. Following the bus tour we went to St. Patrick’s Cathedral. I thought that the architecture was beautiful and some of the history inside of it was even more remarkable. They have the “Door of Reconciliation” for example that was used to create peace between two different warring groups and they have that displayed. I also fell in love with the organ loft and the organ.

After that we came back to the hostel relaxed and then went to dinner and returned and am just relaxing for the night. Tomorrow we travel to Belfast!

Until then.
P.S. I won't lie: tonight I am feeling the effects of being home sick and it is not fun. If you are reading this feel free to send me a message about what is happening around you back in the states! I would love to hear what you are doing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment