Thursday, March 31, 2016

Traveling? Here are some Tips!

It certainly has been a long time since I visited this blog. I must say looking back now and remembering how excited and anxious I was I realize how much I wish I could go back. However, with a summer filled with an internship I sadly will have to hang the backpack up for only a little while.

One thing that I will remember though and things I hope to pass onto you, the person about to travel and experience the world maybe for the first time or tenth, are the tips that made my adventure truly valuable and something I will not forget.

So here are my top 6 travel tips from someone who went through a trip like you:

1. Don't be afraid! This trip was something you picked so take a chance to and fly with it! You are in another country, it will be scary and you will be terrified. But just relax and know that you are safe and have the best people with you during this experience.

2. Always travel with a buddy. There are times where traveling alone can be safe, however, just be cautious with it. When I was in London on our last weekend I went and did some exploring on my own and went and saw a movie on my own. It was a nice reprieve to have some time to myself but I also felt comfortable at this point with traveling. At the beginning of the trip however, I was very strict in finding someone to go with or having a group of people to go with.

3. Don't over pack! I know this sounds silly but carrying too much will hinder you while traveling. When I was on my program we were doing intense traveling for the first couple weeks which included carrying my almost 40 lb luggage up and down small hostel stairs. Even at the beginning of the trip it was heavy. I think if I had brought less I would have done better but you also want space to keep all the things you buy in there too!

4. Take a walk around your neighborhood. Even if it's not a walk or a bus ride. Enjoy the scenary and enjoy the fact you're in another country outside of your own. I remember taking the bus to get to the underground and I would love to sit and watch the city goers. I also would love to people watch while on the Metro in Spain as well as walking to and from my apartment.

5. Try new food. Even if you are a picky eater there will be something new to try that will be worth it! Even if it's trying haggas in Scotland or having the opportunity to have octopus such as I did while I was in Spain, there is always something new to try and why not do it when you have the chance to in a foreign country?

6. Enjoy yourself. There will be so many things to do in the new city you have just arrived in. Take the time to yourself to find the cool things in the city. Remember though to be responsible, it's not fun being groggy the next day on a field trip. 

So, those are just a couple of my study abroad #TravelTips! I am always willing to answer more questions and I always have more advice ready to flow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment